Monday, September 24, 2012

One day at a time

I bought a random book I found online when I googled "cancer inspirational" called Everyday Strength: A Cancer Patient's Guide to Spiritual Survival on my roughest day last week. I am just dying for someone to relate to and hear God's word. This book has been perfect. I've been so encouraged and I thought I would share a prayer that gave me hope. The writer is a man in remission from cancer and he writes a small devotional for 32 days with a prayer at the end of each day. This was the prayer I read on my down day:
Father,
Though my moods be 
Ever changing 
And my eye of faith 
Ever wavering 
I ask your help in 
Remembering 
That you love me steadfastly 
And that you are my 
Total security.

So perfect to hear when I was up one minute, down the next. I am fearful of announcing I was zero, but scared because it was the third (maybe fourth?) time I celebrated this monumental moment, only for it to come back again.
The next day was about facing one day at a time. This was exactly what I needed to hear and I love this prayer. I put it up on my mirror:
Father,
Make my roots deep
And my knowledge
Of your trustworthiness
Unshakable.
I travel well
In the warm sunshine.
Dear God, make me
A better rough weather traveler.

Appropriate, since I am currently obsessed with trees. Since God pointed this prayer out, I have been enjoying each day and going to him in my fear. Hope this encourages you, too, in your own personal rough weather.

No comments: