Friday, April 13, 2012

Wish me luck

My seeds are growing and now it's time to make compost! (who knew I would later be into this and it would be exciting?! My younger self is screaming "Lame!" as I type)
I watched and read several posts on composting and doing a chicken wire one seemed the easiest for a beginner. You can buy a composting bin from the city ($50) or at Home Depot ($100) where you can crank it, but I'm cheap and trying to be resourceful. The chicken wire allows the compost to "breathe". Jack used a couple of plastic ties to close it to a 3X3 opening. If I was to do it again, I would do a square with one side open for easier access, but Jack said you can just lift up the chicken wire. You'll want to mix about once a week or whenever you add ingredients. I will report how it goes.  Amateur here. As far as location, they said away from the house and where some sun can get to it. You'll also want to keep it moist, so you may want it close to water access.
Basically you want to make a compost lasagna. Brown ingredients to green with a 1:3 ratio. Microorganisms of nitrogen and carbon will break down to make nutritious soil for your garden.


Brown:
paper, fall leaves, straw, sawdust, shredded newspaper or wood chips.
Basically any dry or woody/twig types of things
Green:
freshly cut grass, used coffee grounds, seaweed, spent flower blooms,tea leaves or vegetables and peelings.
Basically most organic, growing things that are still fresh and moist.
Supposedly the stuff lets off steam when you turn it. I am using an empty, clean paint can to store my green items from the kitchen. You can also buy a little bin but why do that when you can use what you got. My friend, Anna, said her Aunt uses a coffee can.

Is anyone else doing this? Any pro tips? I'm planting the garden this weekend or the beginning of next week! Can't wait. I hope all this work isn't ruined by birds and squirrels (I do have an organic homemade pesticide).
Nothing to do with composting. I just love how Dalton will play with his cars by laying down his head on the floor or the couch and rolling it back and forth. So cute.

No comments: