Sunday, April 19, 2009

I heart dinner parties

Last night, my friend, Traci, hosted an Italian Dinner Party. Everyone was instructed to try an make an authentic Italian Dish. Everything was delicious. I made a couple appetizers- one, asparagus and prosciutto crostini with fonduta and two, Pecorino Romano with Apples and Fig Jam. I really like the Pecorino one, it was great with the combination of sweet, sour, and salty. The recipe, of course, was from Giada. Very easy and it was so good I did a review on foodnetwork. Here is the recipe, if you want to try it:

Pecorino Romano with Apples and Fig Jam

Ingredients

  • 6 dried figs, halved
  • 1/2 cup simple syrup, recipe follows
  • 2 tablespoons brandy
  • 1/4 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
  • 24 baguette slices
  • Olive oil, for drizzling
  • 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano
  • 1 large apple (Granny Smith or Braeburn), thinly sliced into 24 slices
  • 1/4 pound chunk Pecorino Romano, for shaving 24 pieces

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the figs, simple syrup, and brandy. Bring the mixture up to a simmer. Turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Place the fig mixture and the hazelnuts in a food processor and blend, pulsing a few times, until pureed. Set aside.

Place the baguette slices on a heavy baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Top each slice with 1 teaspoon grated Pecorino Romano. Bake until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted and golden, about 7 minutes.

Top each slice of toast with 2 teaspoons of fig jam, a slice of apple and a piece of shaved Pecorino Romano. Transfer the toasts to a serving platter and serve.

Simple syrup:

  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar

In a saucepan combine water and sugar over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved. Take pan off heat and cool the syrup. Any extra cooled syrup can be saved in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

--The other recipe is great, too. I got it on epicurious, if you want it. You could almost make it into a side dish. I actually changed it and roasted the asparagus wrapped in prosciutto. Delish. So now, once a month someone will host the dinner and pick a different theme night. I believe I am doing Greek next month. So fun! 

--Several of you asked about my test, it was super hard! Really hard, so I really don't know how I did. I get results in 6 weeks. So now I just have a final and then it's graduation time-May 2nd! 

No comments: