 |
| Aerial view of a tree. I picked the top right. |
It's true. I finally did it. I've been wanting one for about 5 years, but I had to research, pick, think, muddle it over, and think some more. It never was the right thing or moment. I knew I wanted something about God or my faith and not a cartoon character (not that there's anything wrong with that). Suddenly I'm going through this cancer thing and realize I must get something to remember God's faithfulness through it all. And the love I've received. So there's that... then I'm discussing with my friend, Katherine, where I'm going to get the thing and she suggests my head. Mmm, that is brilliant! It fits and it's fate. This way if I hate it, my hair will hide it. It's a good starter tattoo and I figured I could get it again somewhere else that would be seen. The good news is, I LOVE it!
Next was the design. It was either Hephzibah (my delight is in her see Isaiah 62:4) in Hebrew or an oak tree. I saw a super cool idea of doing an aerial view of the tree online and viola! we have the design. I love that it's more abstract and a design than a straight up tree. It feels like I won't tire of this and I like that I have to explain it. There's no cool answer to why I chose turquoise to be the color, I just like it.
 |
| Setting up |
 |
| Here we go! |
 |
| Great tattoo artist. He was super nice and made me feel safe and relaxed. |
Several of the other tattoo artists came in to check out the progress. One guy had gotten his head done on both sides and was shivering remembering the pain of it. At least he did it after I started. The pain actually wasn't too bad. Of course it hurt, but not horrible. I would describe it as lots of deep bee stings, repeatedly. I've been through much worse. It actually felt good at some moments-weird-but the artist backed me up and said he had that same feeling when he had his. Something with the nerves up there. Jack actually met me there and he was a little late. They actually started before he got there, only about 5 minutes or so.
 |
| Right after! Notice the dripping blood-I'm so hardcore. |
 |
| So fresh. |
 |
| A shot now. Look at my hair growing. Weird and awesome. I'm not going to know what to do when I have to style hair again, let alone short hair. Anyone know of a good hair stylist?! |
I have a head tat! WHAT?! I still can't believe I have a tattoo and that it is on my head. A year ago I would have said I would never do that. I've had several people tell me they "like my ink". Ha. Ink. On me. I feel like I fit in East Nashville all of a sudden. I make a much different impression than my old self and I like it!
Here's my list I made prior to getting the tattoo of why it meant so much to me. Yes, I made a list. When people ask the meaning, I always what to go into much more detail. I tend to explain better on paper:
- Based on the passage from Isaiah 61:1-3 "The Spirit of he Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor, he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captive, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn; to grant to those who mourn in Zion-to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit; that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified." I could speak for days about the redemption of this verse and God giving us his beauty and strength, all to glorify himself.
- Aerial view seems to say God is looking down over me.
- On my bald head where I lost all my hair from chemotherapy
- A tree cannot survive without it's roots deep and established, which is Christ, my Lord. I just can't do it without him. He is my life blood and everything.
- The trunks of an oak tree go up and then cut off into lots of different branches and branches form off of those... this reminds me of life and all the different lessons, trials, and events of our individual lives. My last 4 or so years has it's own set of branches, telling a story, and producing new growth. The tree is slowly becoming stronger and with more and more branches. By the end of my life, I picture a huge oak tree with lots of paths (see picture).
- Oak trees are majestic and strong. They can live up to 500 years and rarely get disturbed by pests. This tree is a glimpse of God's strength. Oak trees are gorgeous, showing God's beauty from creation. God's glory he's given through my story is gorgeous. It shows what he's produced.
- I have gotten through this year with the help of my family and friends. My friends, I consider to be my family. Family is often represented through trees. My family (this means friends, too) gave me strength to stand as an oak tree. They tended to me and cared for me. We all got through it together. All of my individual family members come together to make this majestic tree. Ah, and now I'm getting verklempt.

No comments:
Post a Comment