Monday, November 26, 2012

metaphors

I love metaphors. I think some people think they are cheesy, but I really do connect with them. Maybe it's if you are a visual person it works... I loved using them in therapy and personally connect with them all the time.
My recent favorite metaphors:
Tree: I've been wanting an oak tree tattoo for a while. I can't settle on a design and get scared. That's so me and not Jack. I've been thinking about it for, I don't know 5 years. I love the spiritual significance. Oak trees are my favorite. They are majestical and huge. One of my favorite verses on this subject:

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor, he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captive, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound... to comfort all who mourn; to grant to those who mourn in Zion-to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit; that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified."Isaiah 61:1-3

Arrows:
Mary made this for me
That Mary. She's so great.


Weird because I just pinned a quote about arrows the other day that said "An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming."

Rainbows:
sorry it's so light-just to give you an idea

We just studied the flood and I just have a new respect for rainbows. Don't you love it when scripture you've read many a time becomes new to you? There are 7 colors! Genius.
One thing that my teacher said-sometimes you have to move to see the rainbow. This is also true in hardships... through the rain and even after the rain, you have to get right with God before you see the rainbow in it. He must move you around from your perspective, to his.
I saved a rainbow that I drew from a bible study I did with our old associative pastor's wife. I think it was 4 or 5 years ago. She drew a rainbow and under one side has us put our worries, fears, and insecurities. On the other the actual feelings we have about them. God is at the top and under the actual arc of the rainbow she had us write the promises of God to those worries, fears, and insecurities. The rainbow is a promise of his covenant and the point is to despute those lies. Remember what he's told us. Remember he is in control. I kept this because it was powerful and I take it out often. The bow is actually like a warrior bow and it's pointed towards God, who takes the arrow for us. I actually just made a new rainbow with my present worries because they change- but do they really? Hmm. Deep stuff. Anyways, I wanted to share because it helps me to see verses that dispute the lies that I tell myself and the world tells me. This reminds me of the power that is at my hands that can be easily taken for granted.

No comments: