The food truck is hitting Nashville hard. I recently visited the Nashville Food Truck website to count the trucks to see how many I would have to visit to try them all and there were thirty! Whew. I don't know if I'll get to that, but here is one Jack and I visited last weekend.
Happy Eating. A Japanese food truck recently started that moves around Nashville. You can find where they are on twitter, or if you don't have twitter you can visit the Nashville Food Truck website to find all your favorite's locations. They also have a store off Bransford Avenue called Happy Japan with all kinds of authentic Japanese traditional and anime items (which kind of freaks me out). So if you want to dress up as a Japanese animation character, this is your place.
Back to the truck... we went on a Saturday when they were actually parked in front of their store, which was conveniently located close to our house. They have a few tables and chairs, so no need to worry about seating. The menu is fairly short, as is most food trucks. I had the yuku burgers and curry fries, with a lychee soda. Jack had the tacos and gyoza. The burgers came on a grilled rice bun, pickled ginger, and wasabi mayo-A-. This was our favorite. The rice buns were delicious! The curry fries were mushy and had too much curry-D. Jack's tacos came on a crispy won ton, with chicken and veggies. It was just okay-a C+. The gyoza was again mediocre-C+. My soda was refreshing and it came in a cool bottle with a glass ball that you have to open to get to the soda. The minus was that it was only 6.5 oz for $3! It gets a F for price and volume, an A-for taste. The menu had some yummy desserts on the menu, like ice cream, crepes, and a sweet rice dessert (see animated character on truck), but we decided to try the Pied Piper Creamery instead. The piper does not make good ice cream. By the way, the story of Pied Piper is creepy-a man luring all the children away from the town like rats all because he didn't get paid-yeah. The ice cream was just okay, something I could get from a pubilx brand-D-. It's got NOTHING on Jeni's ice cream.
So the moral of the story is try the burgers and maybe the udon noodles or desserts. I'll have to go back to see about the others. Hopefully they will continue to try to perfect the food because we don't have a lot of Japanese places and it would be nice to have a good one. Don't go to Pied Piper Creamery off Bransford. I do have a friend who said the one in East Nashville is good, but don't waste your money if you are in East Nashville, go to Jeni's!
PS. if you want to visit a good food truck, try Grilled Cheeserie
No comments:
Post a Comment