The other night, Jack and I watched a TV show that we got from netflix called 30 days. It is hosted and created by the guy who did Super Size Me, Morgan Spurlock, where he ate McDonalds for 30 days. In this series, "participants face their fears and prejudices when they spend 30 Days living someone else’s life". The first three episodes were on Minimum Wage, Anti aging, and Muslims and America. I especially enjoyed the Muslims and America episode where a Christian man from West Virginia went to Michigan and spent 30 days with a Muslim family. It went through his stereotypes, his struggle to not compromise his faith, then to changing how he viewed Muslims. He wore traditional Muslim clothing from his house to the airport and to Michigan. He said it was the first time he was stopped by security. It really showed how lots of americans have sterotypes and fears of Muslims since 911 and maybe even before then. I highly suggest seeing it to challenge your thoughts towards Muslims. I know it really challenged me to open up to those different than me and have dialogue about it. This series makes you think about others than yourself. Opens your mind and your heart. I like that it challenges me and enables me to see a small view of how it is to walk in someone else's shoes.
One of my close friends, Alicia, who went to high school and Auburn with me is married to Mark who works for Common Path Alliance. They are an organization dedicated to initiating dialogues of trust and building relationships of peace between Muslims and Christians around the world. They exist to unite people who have been divided by religion by seeking our common path to God. I love the way they get community and relationships moving through being honest and loving. Definitely check out their website on what they are doing and encouraging others to do. Mark speaks here in Nashville occasionally so I can let you know when he does.
And now, to make fun of my own race... I picked up a gift for a friend today I couldn't resist: "Stuff White People Like" by Christian Lander. I have seen the author's website and heard interviews, but the book is hilarious. Here are a few of my favorites:
1. 80's night
2. Wes Anderson Movies "(They) have this way of being sort of funny and a little cleaver, so white people in the audience will laugh like crazy. Also, if they don't get the joke and other white people start laughing, they'll all join in."
3. Film Festivals
4. Standing Still at Concerts-"Music is very important to white people. It truly is the soundtrack to their lives... most of the music white people like isn't especially dance-friendly. More often the songs are about pain, love, breaking up with someone, not being able to date someone, or death."
5. Expensive Sandwiches
6. Knowing What's Best for Poor People
7. Apologies- "White people are so used to apologizing that they start all sentences that might cause disagreement with "I'm sorry, but Garden State was a better film than Hard Eight."
8. Netflix
9. Public Radio
10. Indie Music- "White people hate anything mainstream...If you mention a band you like and the other person has heard of it, you lose. They own you. It is essential that you like the most obscure music possible."
No comments:
Post a Comment