Saturday, August 15, 2009

secret treasure


The Patterson House, in Nashville, is a new little gem that has you feeling you stepped right into a speakeasy. It opened recently off of Division in the old Patrick's building down from Virago. The sleekness and sophistication has you feeling you are not in Nashville anymore and the place is decked out with a blue velvet curtain, chandeliers, light green wallpaper, and wood booths. The drink menu is divided up by the spirit, so Gin, Whiskey, Brandy, Tequila, and so forth. Each drink is $11 and I know, that is a lot for a drink, but seriously this is the first time I have ever felt it is worth it. I have paid $12 for martini's on top of the Hancock building and they aren't worth it, but this is. The tax is also included in all the prices on the menu, a plus. They hand squeeze their juices and have an array of home made bitters in old medicine bottles. The ice is also special in each drink, designed to be specific to the concoction so it doesn't water it down. Jack had a whiskey drink and it had a huge ice sphere in it. My drink, the Pimm's cup, had one long piece. I have gone twice (begging to go again and again but my bank account can't take it all the time!) and I will tell you what were our favorites. Juliet and Romeo was to die for-rose water, gin, cucumber, lime, and mint. Refreshing and came in a dainty glass with a sidecar. Pimm's cup, very delicious-gin, mint, Pimm's, cucumber, and strawberry. Jack really liked his Vincent's Ruin, a whiskey drink- can't remember what's in this one, lemon, among other things. Alicia liked her daiquiri drink, it tasted like egg nog but light. Just try it and you'll see. 
Not only are the drinks great, but the food is, too. You can't be loading your bill up on $11 dollar drinks! So hit up the food. The chef comes formally from Craft in New York and Fat Duck in London, whipping up witty little plates from elvis panini, banana, peanut butter, and bacon, to tator tots and shrimp corndogs. The two menu items I have tried are the melt in your mouth donuts and the fig and prosciutto flat bread bites. The first time we went we ordered the donuts and they came out after our drinks, so we got them free =). The owner told us they are made of brioche dough and rolled in cinnamon sugar. You bite into them and they fill your taste buds with sweet cinnamon sugar, butter, and salt, all at the same time. The flat bread was also very good, but yo, those donuts were off the chain! I got them again my second time. They also have a smore dessert and truffled deviled eggs I was eyeing, maybe next time. Patterson House is a great place to treat yourself or take your out of town guests. If I could (that being I had more money and could tolerate all the calories) I would go every other week!

No comments: