Sunday, August 23, 2009

Graduation







Now I know this post is late, some say, but actually I just received the piece of paper saying I am a Masters in the arts of Counseling! I picked this up last week and shed some tears. It is UNBELIEVABLE where God has brought me in the last two years. There is part of me who wants to boast in what I have done, going back to school and completely changing my career, when everyone probably thought I was crazy or didn't think I could do it. This would be completely false, I must boast in what my God has done. He created this idea to counsel others in a time that I found myself fighting to be able to get the nerve to walk into the hospital one more day. He gave me courage. He gave me strength. He gave me a dream.
It was two and a half years ago that he pointed to scripture to have me go this path and confirmed it along the way. "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God." 2 Corinthians 5:17-20. In actuality he has been working this in me all my life and I can definitely see where my life has piled up struggles to be able to convey to someone, I have been there.
I'm not quite sure where he will take me next and I only can pray that I listen and desire only him. I am now doing my internship for my license at Hope Clinic for Women where I see women in unplanned pregnancies, post abortion, or postpartum depression. I am loving it! I just really have enjoyed working with the college age population and can see myself working in that area. I have lots of dreams about starting something involving education on nutrition, exercise, self-worth, counsel, and the gospel for women.
A very special shout out to my wonderful and supportive husband, Jack, who believed in me every step of the way. He was patient, encouraging, loving, and always willing to quiz me before a huge test. I could not have done it without him, nor would have wanted to. He has helped me dream and stepped along with me in that dream. I am so blessed to have him in my life.
Another shout out to all of my friends who have encouraged me and told me I would be a good counselor when I may have doubted. Thanks to Judd, Traci, Melissa, Ben and Shelly for being my "clients"! HA. Thanks for putting up with it!
You guys, I did it! I am overwhelmed with joy. Cindi Burger Barrett, RN BSN, MA, NCC =)
PS. I actually "walked" in May and celebrated with a picnic along with my family and friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you for helping us with our issues. you are a great counselor (and very cute).

:-)