Thursday, April 11, 2013

How to throw a Downton Abbey Party

My sweet friends, Katie and Richard, had their second girl in November. Our neighborhood fellowship group decided to throw her a Downton Abbey "sprinkle" in honor of her love of the show and her graceful, English-like manner.

Invitations: I made up a school-age crafty invitation for only Katie since it was just us girls (I think I sent out a quick evite). I say crafty because Katie is an artist and I can't draw worth a flying flip. I am creative but I can not create on my own. The invitation was in a shape of a tea cup with a string mimicking the tea bag. The unfortunate part about it is I gave it to Richard. He forgot and I forgot to remind him or check to see if she got it. Oh well! Ha. At least I sent her a text before to say where and when :).

Dress code: You can pick the upstairs or downstairs crew. Hats are important. Gloves. Some sort of fur. Of course, my Martha Stewart friend, Anna, made her maid costume. It was perfect.
The theme was a surprise for Katie, so we provided her with a stole, gloves, and jewelry.

Food: High tea style. Delicate sandwiches, scones with clotted creme, fruit, crumb cake, mini quiches, assortment of teas... dainty food.

Decor: Frame pictures of the Crawleys, tea pots/tea cups, white table cloths, fresh cut flowers, fine china and silver. For the framed pictures, I poured coffee on some of them to make it look vintage. Just a little, then dry and place in a silver frame.
My friend, Mary Jane's husband, had sent me this paper doll link last year (sorry to miss you guys at the party!) from Vulture. I cut them out, hung them, and gave some to Katie, too.
Traci made an amazing sign of the Estate. Complete with pictures of the cast with Katie, Richard, Jane, and Ouisey's head on their bodies. Awesome!

What does a newborn baby have to do with Downton Abbey, you ask? Who cares?! It's a theme and that's all you need to know.
Now, who wants to discuss Downton? (me: shaking head in disbelief)
Surprise!







Lady in waiting helping Katie get dressed for the tea.

I found these cute tags from Michael's Martha Stewart line and attached them to string.


Lady Ouisey









Lady Katie, our guest of honor


No comments: