Thursday, December 6, 2012

CA post #2: To shave or not to shave

Before starting treatment, I had heard of a lot of women shaving their head ahead of time to cope with their hair falling out in clumps. I just wasn't ready for that for a couple of reasons. One, I was not getting the same chemotherapy drugs as the typical woman who wakes up with all of their hair on their pillow, Taxol. I was on Cytoxan, which causes major hair thinning but not guaranteed to take all of your hair. When I asked if my hair would fall out, I got some "maybes" or "yes" or "not reallies". It was not a straight answer. I was also on a more frequent dose. Most treatments go ever 3-4 weeks, I was every other week. Two, I wasn't ready emotionally. I would say this is a person by person basis. If I was guaranteed to have all my hair to fall out, I would shave it. While it was hard to have clumps fall out, not all of it fell out at once. I wasn't emotionally scarred, but could see how many women would be. I did eventually get to a point where I was ready to shave it. A couple of reasons: easier, when else would I do this?!, it would look better than what I did look like (meaning I had little hair left leaving to me to look like a desperate man doing the comb over with three little strands of hair). I knew when I was ready and it was liberating! If I had done it sooner, I would have cried my eyes out.
All this to say:

  • do it if you will have hair loss as a side effect, either all or hair thinning. 
  • Do it when you have prayed about it and prepared yourself emotionally. 
  • Have someone shave it that loves you for you. I had Jack do it. He's been my partner through this whole journey. If he could tell me he thought I was absolutely gorgeous with a hideous comb over, he would love me with a bald head. It was actually a beautiful family experience I will never forget. 
  • If you don't have a husband, ask a best friend. Have someone there to hug you afterwards and tell you it's okay. If you need me to come sit with you or call me, I'd love to be your support.
  • I would recommend reading a verse before hand about God's immense love for you.

Head coverings: my pick was scarves and a very well used hat. Man, have I worn my hat out.

  • You will have a cold head. It will be such a weird feeling. Bald heads are great for exercising, giving a nice cooling effect when you're sweating. Oh, too bad you can't work out when you feel like crap! This is just wrong. A plus and you can't even use it. I guess if you have hot flashes it will be nice, too.
  • I personally do not like wearing wigs. They are itchy and hot. I am thankful I can wear one occasionally to a nice outing and feel "normal". Other than that, I wouldn't bother. 
  • Hats are great because you can just slip them on when you wake up. Scarves take a minute to tie and you don't have time for that when your toddler is saying "mommy. mommy. mommy...". 
  • Also, if you get a heavy scarf, it will fall if not tied correctly. This will drive you crazy when you are in the grocery store to the point you will rip it off in public. Find a light weight one and see my scarf post for ways to tie.
  • A sweet woman at bible study yesterday told me about these scarves that just slip on. I'm going to go check them out.
You will love not shaving! I just shaved for the first time in about 3 months (yes, my hair is growing back). Bliss! Total cancer bonus.

No comments: