Wednesday, August 22, 2012

If I was a betting woman, I'd bet on me

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. We met with my oncologist this morning-I swear I almost threw up before hand-and now we have a plan. The abnormal cells did come back, despite having a 90% chance of it not, and now we have no choice but to treat it. If you remember, I had the testing done from New Mexico and it said it was benign and wouldn't respond to chemo. There was a disclaimer and it said that there was a 10% chance of it coming back and would have to be treated with chemotherapy. We have great odds with this stuff!
Basically over the last couple months, my levels have risen, lowered, risen, risen, risen. My Dr. said we have no choice but to either a. treat with chemotherapy called EMACO- a five drug treatment or b. hysterectomy but may still need chemotherapy afterwards considering we don't know for sure where the cells are. I already knew my answer going in. I'm not ready to give up and I'm ready to fight. It is exhausting, especially knowing it's been over a year since this all started, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't fight.
SO now we have a long road. Tomorrow I get a portacath, an iv access under the skin on my chest that accesses to a vein. I decided to do this instead of the PICC this time because I won't have as much weight restrictions and I can shower. I also figured Dalton can't play with it. Monday I am admitted to Baptist to start EMACO. He did say it is rough and that bone marrow suppression is the biggest side effect. It means I will have to wash my hands a lot, refrain from being around sickos (being actually ill, not sick in the head. Although I don't want to be around them either), rest up, and remain hydrated. I may/may not loose hair and I will be nausated and tired. Saying all that, I can do it! I am up for this fight. I think my concern is making sure Dalton is cared for, but I know I have lots of loving people ready to be there. I will miss him like crazy on those two days, but it will be worth it. So the schedule will be Monday and Tuesday in the hospital, blood draw on Friday, Tuesday 2 drug treatment in the office, and then start again the following Monday. I will do this until normal and then 3 more after. So best case scenario is 8 weeks.
We are in shock and can't believe we are back here. We also can't believe the day before we heard about all this, we had a match for adoption and have to turn it down. It's just not the right timing and have no idea if and when this will end.  I'm having to trust God's timing in this and I believe, but I don't always believe, especially when it comes to Dalton's health. When I don't believe, I have others around me that do and that's important. Thanks for the encouragement and I will continue to update you on the progress. For those asking what you can do, I'd say this: Prayer, first. Company-I may need some friends at the hospital. I'm not sure about food yet-I may not be eating but I know Jack will have to. Once things come up I will let you know what we need. Love you!


No comments: