Friday, May 4, 2012

Don't be fooled by his scary picture

I saw a tweet by Beth Moore that quoted Charles Spurgeon and it spoke to me. I decided to look up where the quote was from and it was taken from a sermon he made in 1856. The page it was on had this unfortunate picture that was a little scary, like out of that new movie with Daniel Radcliff (I have not seen it, just previews, but also looks unfortunate). I still read it and I'm so glad I did.
There were so many parts of the sermon that spoke to me, but here are a few. I would really encourage you to read it, only because God spoke to me what I needed through it. It is long, but worth it. I needed to be reminded I have the best wealth anyone could ever need or wish for at all times. Again, he turning me to thankfulness.
So the moral of the story is to get on twitter so God can speak to you. Ha. I kid, I kid.



"I say I have not a hope beyond that; there is not a promise beyond that; for all promises are couched in this, all hopes are included in this, "I will be their God." This is the master-piece of all promises; it is the top-stone of all the great and precious things, which God has provided for his children, "I will be their God." If we could really grasp it, if it could be applied to our soul and we could understand it, we might clap our hands and say, "Oh! the glory, oh! the glory, oh! the glory of that promise!" it makes a heaven below, and it must make a heaven above, for nothing else will be wanted but that, "I will be their God."


But how seldom do we ask counsel at the hands of the Lord! How often do we go about our business without asking his guidance! In our troubles how constantly do we strive to bear our burdens, instead of casting them upon the Lord, that he may sustain us! And this is not because we may not, for the Lord seems to say, "I am thine, soul, come and make use of me as thou wilt; thou mayest freely come to my store, and the oftener the better welcome." Have thou not a God lying by thee to no purpose; let not thy God be as other gods, serving only for a show: have not a name only that thou hast a God. Since he allows thee, having such a friend, use him daily. My God shall supply all your wants: never want whilst thou hast a God, never fear or faint whilst thou hast a God; go to thy treasure and take whatever thou needest; 

"To him in every trouble flee,
Thy best, thy only friend."

Fly to him, tell him all thy wants. Use him constantly by faith, at all times. Oh! I beseech thee, if some dark providence has come over thee, use thy God as a sun, for he is a sun."





No comments: