Saturday, September 17, 2011

Beverly, MA

This past weekend we headed 40 minutes outside of Boston, MA to Beverly. A charming New England town, full of adorable houses, breathtaking ocean views, and adorable shops. My best friend, Jenny, got married and I was honored to be a bridesmaid.
The flight attendant gave Daltie his first set of wings!
Dalton and Jack went with me, so it was Dalton's first plane ride!
He did great and was the hit of the flights. I couldn't believe how good he did, especially when at times he only had about a 15 minute nap in 6 hours (very unusual for him!). The way there he even got a comment from a lady that she didn't even know he was on the plane, score. There was a little fussing on the first flight back, but was quickly terminated once Jack walked him around. He loved greeting people up and down the aisles.
All dressed up. Wait, I don't want to go.
The weekend was one of the most laid back weddings I've ever attended. It was cool to see that Jenny and Jamey planned all of it largely because they are in their 30's and paying for most of it themselves. The rehearsal dinner was at a Yacht Club outside by the water. Dalton and Jack stayed behind because it had been a very long travel day and Dalton was ready to hit the hay. I did get to dress him up before he decided he didn't want to go. The best thing we had was new england clam chowder, it was delicious. I was just thinking how I hated that wouldn't get to have any chowder while I was in Boston, but Jenny read my mind. Wait, I shouldn't be calling this a rehearsal dinner because this was a "pre-wedding" dinner. There was no rehearsal. This is amazing!
The day of the wedding, we didn't have to be there until 2:30, so we had breakfast in Salem and walked the streets. Lots of witch stuff, but lovely houses and shops, too. They have sidewalks and parks there along the beautiful water.
Jenny was gracious to get Dalton a babysitter for the night. The wedding was so sweet and the reception was a blast. More dancing! The dj looked like he walked right out of a SNL skit, too bad I didn't get a picture. There were several speeches, but my favorite was her new father-in-law who talked about how Jamey and Jenny chose 9/11 to replace bad memories with joyous ones. They also spoke of the Jewish tradition of naming children with the first letter of a beloved family member lost. They chose J and if it was a boy, Jamey, if a girl, Jenny. Obviously it was a boy, but years later they finally got their Jenny. Okay, tears.
It was first Jewish wedding and I hope to attend more. I loved all the symbolism and tradition.
Site of the pre-wedding dinner

What I was waiting for. It did not disappoint.
The ketubah-sort of a marriage contract signed by the bride and groom and two witnesses. Jack and I had something similar to this at our wedding, based on this tradition. It's in our hallway, if you ever want to see it. 

The handsome couple


Some call it a "chuppa"

No comments: