Monday, May 11, 2009

Restaurant Reviews


One of Jack and I's favorite things to do is try new restaurants. I love trying new foods and I found two gems, here in Nashville. 

The first is Los Arcos, located off of Nolensville Road. The place itself is very nice and clean. Jack commented that he loved the chairs, they were big wooden chairs that looked hand made. There was no wait (which could be bad or good) on a Saturday night at 6:30. We had to get out within 45 minutes because we were on our way to see Star Trek, which may I add, amazing. We both ordered margaritas on the rocks and were both pleased. Not too much tequila, but not short changing either. I also don't like it when there is a strong taste of the triple sec. It was perfect. The salsa and chips were your basic chips and salsa, such as Las Palmas, and we also got queso. I personally prefer Rosepepper's Salsa the best because they give you hot, mild, and tomatillo salsa, but it was still great. 
We shared the fajitas of chicken and steak and they were fabulous. It came with corn or flour tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, and onions. The menu had lots of your typical Mexican options, but had lots of seafood options. It had all the feel of yummy cheap mexican food, but with a fancier atmosphere feel. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Athens Greek Family Restaurant is the next place that I discovered a couple of weeks ago. I had been dying to go here for a while, but Jack thought it was sketchy because it is in a old Captain D's off of 8th. It is open 24 hours except on Sundays where it closes at 2 pm. It has a small patio with outdoor seating, which is where we sat with our friends, Richard and Katie.
This place is fantastic. If you want authentic Greek food, this is your place! We went with two other friends and shared a couple of appetizers, the hummus plate and spanakopita. The hummus plate comes with pita bread, so light and warm. I could have eaten two baskets full of that stuff! We even ran out and they refilled for no charge. The hummus was perfect with two olives on top and we even asked for more olives so everyone could have one and they brought us a bowl full. The spanakopita was perfect and I highly recommend it.
For our entree, we each split a gyro platter, which came with beef meat, pitas, Tzatziki, and a side salad or fries. Tzatziki is a classic Greek spread made with sour cream, cucumbers, and garlic and Athen's was delicious and fresh. They have a pretty large menu and even have breakfast, which we returned for the next day! Yes, it was that good. For breakfast, I had pancakes and jack had a skillet with potatoes, ham, cheese, and eggs. 
At the end of the meal, the chef came out to check on us and he was super friendly. The waitress was on top of the service and never left us lacking for anything. They do not serve alcohol, but you can bring wine or beer with no corking fee. Here is the website to see their menu: www.athensfamilyrestaurant.com 
I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

LWB said...

I love new restaurants too! Your reviews were hilarious. How odd that the Greek place is open 24/7 - that does sound sketchy, but it's funny how those kinds of places end up being the little hidden gems.

xoox